Film Wyoming Permitting & Regulations - Federal Lands

Permits are required for all production companies and still photographers doing work on federal lands, including national parks, forests, recreation areas and monuments. The breakdown of Wyoming's lands, is as follows: 49% Federal; 42% private; 6% State; and 3% Indian Reservation.

Bureau of Land Management

Permit fees will be required for shooting on BLM lands. The fee schedule is based on the crew size and the number of locations within the BLM District being utilized. Other fees for additional services provided by BLM staff may also apply.

1 to 10 people $150/location/day
11 to 30 people $250/location/day
31 to 60 people $500/location/day
Over 60 people $600/location/day
1 to 3 people $50/location/day
4 to 10 people $100/location/day
11 to 30 people $150/location/day
31 to 49 people $250/location/day
50 to 100 people $300/location/day

Filing and monitoring fees are required if total user fees exceed $250 for both motion pictures and still photography. A performance bond and liability insurance may be required.

Production companies with complex location needs or setups should plan well in advance for BLM permits. Expect a minimum of two weeks to process these permit requests. Contact the following offices for more information or download a permit application at:

Buffalo Field Office
1425 Fort St.
Buffalo, WY 82834
Phone - 307-684-1100
Fax - 307-684-1122
Casper Field Office
2987 Prospector Dr.
Casper, WY 82604
Phone - 307/261-7600
FAX - 307/261-7587
Fax - 307-684-1122"
Cody Field Office
1002 Blackburn
Cody, WY 82414
Phone - 307-578-5900
Fax - 307-578-5939Fax
Cody Field Office
1002 Blackburn
Cody, WY 82414
Phone - 307-578-5900
Fax - 307-578-5939Fax
Lander Field Office
1335 Main, POB 589
Lander, WY 82520
Phone - 307-332-8400
Fax - 307-332-8447
Pinedale Field Office
432 E. Mill St. POB 768
Pinedale, WY 82941
Phone - 307-367-5300
Fax - 367-5329
Rawlins Field Office
1300 N. Third St. POB 2407
Rawlins, WY 82301
Phone - 307/328-4200
Phone - 307-328-4256
FAX - 307/328-4224
Rock Spring Field Office
280 Hwy 191 North
Rock Springs, WY 82902-1869
Phone - 307/352-0256
FAX - 307/352-0329
Worland Field Office
101 South 23rd St.
P.O. Box 119
Worland, WY 82401
Phone - 307/347-5100
FAX - 307/347-5228
Wyoming State Office
5353 Yellowstone
P.O. Box 1828
Cheyenne, WY 82003
Phone - 307/775-6256
FAX - 307/775-6082

Department of Defense

Southeast Wyoming is home to two major military installations: F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, and the Army National Guard Training Center in Guernsey. Both require approval from the Department of Defense before production can take place on these sites. For information regarding filming on military property and use of equipment, contact the following federal offices:

FE Warren Air Force Base Public Affairs Office
5305 Randall Ave.
Suite 201
Cheyenne, WY 82005
Phone - 307/773 3383
Fax - 307/773 2074

Department of the Army

11000 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 10104
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Phone - 310/235-7621
FAX - 310/473-8874

U.S. Forest Service

The U.S. Forest Service ranger district requires a special use permit for film and photography projects. Applications for filming/photography permits require the following timeframes for proposal analysis and permit processing. Major production involving over 30 people, helicopters, or significant amount of equipment require 45 business days. Major movie productions may require additional time. Minor production involving 29 or less people with small amount of equipment/props requires 10 business days (15 days for the Jackson and Buffalo Ranger Districts).

Permit fees are charged to the company based on crew size. The following tables are accurate for all National Forests in Wyoming with the exception of the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Contact that office for more details (see below for contact information):

Motion Picture and Video Rental Schedule
(Staging Area Fee not applicable to Bridger-Teton National Forest or Targhee National Forest.)

Number of People Daily Rate for Location Each Staging Area
1-10 $150 $75
11-30 $250 $125
31-60 $450 $225
Over 60 $600 $300

Commercial Still Photography Rental Schedule

Number of People Daily Rate for Location
1-3 $75
4-10 $100
11-30 $150
31-49 $250
50-100 $300
Over 100 $300 (or determined by appraisal)

The number of people includes actors, models, and filming and support crew. If the number of people exceeds 100, the authorizing officer may order an appraisal to determine fair market value. Absent such appraisal, the maximum daily rental is as shown on the schedules for both still photography and the motion picture filming.

Charge fees for use in excess of 20 days at 85% of the daily rate.

Additional fees are required for special conditions identified in the following schedule:

Activity Daily Fee
Traffic Control (road closures, detours, etc.) $150
Use of Congressional or Agency Identified Areas such as Wilderness, Research Natural Areas. $150
Authorized Surface Disturbances (grading, removal of rocks, Use of heavy earth-moving equipment, or animals) $100
Special Effects (crashes, large pyrotechnics, fire scenes, etc.) $100

A bond may be required for any activity requiring surface reclamation or restoration.

The U.S. Forest Service requires a minimum of $1,000,000 general liability insurance, and may also require a performance bond. The production company may also pay the cost of a full-time liaison officer on site if the project's complexity warrants it. 

Cost Recovery Fees will be assessed for all still photography and filming permit requests that require more than 1 hour to process. Fees will be assessed for monitoring if monitoring is necessary.

The U.S. Forest Service has been directed to recover costs associated with processing special use applications and monitoring compliance with the special use authorizations. These fees are collected to recover the agency's cost to conduct work and/or provide services to identifiable recipients that are not otherwise provided for the benefit of the public as a whole.   

These regulations will have an effect upon you as a new applicant or a current holder of a special use authorization.

1. If and when you apply for a new authorization (permit) to occupy and use the National Forest System Lands.

2. If you currently use and occupy National Forest System Lands, and either do not hold a special use authorization to do so, or the authorization you do hold has or is about to expire.

3. If you propose to modify your existing authorization use.

Contact the following offices for more information:

Big Horn National Forest
2013 East Side Second Street
Sheridan, WY 82801
Phone - 307/674-2683
FAX - 307/674-2668
Black Hills National Forest
Bearlodge Ranger District
P.O. Box 680
Sundance, WY 82729
Phone - 307/283-1361
FAX - 307/283-3727
Permits - 605/673-2251
Bridger-Teton National Forest
P.O. Box 1888
Jackson, WY 83001
Phone - 307/739-5500
FAX - 307/739-5450
Medicine Bow National Forest
2468 Jackson St.
Laramie, WY 82070-6535
Phone - 307/745-2300
FAX - 307/742-2398
Shoshone National Forest
808 Meadow Land
Cody, WY 82414-4516
Phone - 307/527-6241
Permits - 307/527-6921
FAX - 307/578-1212
Targhee National Forest
Teton Basin Ranger District
Driggs, ID 83422
Phone - 208/354-2312
FAX - 208/354-8505

National Parks and Monuments

Commercial filming permits are required for any project that generates an electronic media, film or video production for television, the motion picture industry, public interest or private multi-media which consists of production crews and vehicles, broadcast equipment, props/sets, talent/actors, construction, trailers, housing, animals or aircraft. Projects may involve feature films, documentaries, game shows, soap operas, shopping networks, religious telecasts, talk shows, docudramas, travelogues, commercials, infomercials, public TV presentations, or DVDs, CDs, CD-ROMs or videos for training, sales, education, promotions, entertainment, etc.

Permits for commercial still photography are also required when used for product or service advertisement, activities involve the use of models, sets or props; or when proposed photographic activities indicate potential for resource damage or undue disruption of visitor activities.

Cost recovery and application fees vary between park units; the same location fees stated below apply statewide.

Yellowstone National Park - A $200 non-refundable administrative processing charge is required for all applicants, regardless of whether or not a permit is issued. This fee must be returned with the application in order for it to be considered and covers up to three hours of administrative time.

Grand Teton National Park - An application fee of $275 is required for a permit valid from 1 day to 6 months. An application fee of $350 is required for a permit valid from 6 months to 1 year.

It may be necessary to have a National Park Service representative monitor permitted activities at a rate of $150/monitor for the first two hours then $50 per hour/monitor thereafter. Some projects may also require or request NPS staff conduct location scouts and interviews. This time is billed at the same rate. Administrative time beyond the first three hours covered by the application fee is also billed at this rate.

Location Fee Schedule
National Park Service
FY 2006

Motion Picture/Video
1-2 people camera & tripod only zero
1-10 people $150/day
11-30 people $250/day
31-49 people $500/day
Over 50 people $750/day
Commercial Still Photography
1-10 people $50/day
11-30 people $150/day
Over 30 people $250/day

All parks and monuments will require $1,000,000 in general liability insurance and could require a performance bond. Additional cost recovery methods may also be applied to the production while on location. Allow two weeks for most permit applications.

Contact the following offices for more information:

Grand Teton National Park
Terry Roper
Moose WY 83012 
Phone - 307/739-3473
FAX - 307/739-3492
Yellowstone National Park
Tammy Wert
P.O. Box 168
Yellowstone Park, WY 82190
Phone - 307/344-2115 
FAX - 307/344-2014
Bighorn Canyon Nat'l Rec. Area
20 Highway 14A East
Lovell, WY 82431
Phone - 307/548-2251 
FAX - 307/ 548-7826
Devils Tower Nat'l Monument
P.O. Box 8
Devils Towers, WY 82714-0008
Phone - 307/467-5283
FAX - 307/467-5350
Flaming Gorge Nat'l Rec. Area
P.O. Box 279
Manilla, UT 84046
Phone - 307/875-2871 
FAX - 307/875-1646 
Permits - 435/784-3445
Fossil Butte National Monument
P.O. Box 592
Kemmerer, WY 83101
Phone - 307/877-4455
FAX - 307/877-4457